1 a state of being confined (usually for a short time); "his detention was politically motivated"; "the prisoner is on hold"; "he is in the custody of police" [syn: hold, custody]
2 a punishment in which a student must stay at school after others have gone home; "the detention of tardy pupils"
Detention may refer to:
- Detention (2003 film)
- School punishment#Detention, a punishment used in schools
- Detention (Cold Case Episode), Episode 58 (Series 3 Episode 12) of CBS TV Drama Cold Case.
- Detention basin, an artificial flow control structure that is used to contain flood water for a limited period of a time
- Detention (TV series)
- Detention (imprisonment), imprisonment of somebody guilty or suspected of a crime
- Immigration detention, imprisonment of unauthorised person entering a country
detention in Simple English: Detention
afterthought, apprehension, arrest, arrestation, arrestment, bind, block, blockage, blocking, bureaucratic delay, captivity, check, clogging, close arrest, closing up, closure, confinement, constriction, cramp, custody, deceleration, delay, delayage, delayed reaction, detainment, double take, drag, dragging, durance, durance vile, duress, ease-off, ease-up, fixation, flagging, foot-dragging, halt, hampering, hang-up, hindering, hindrance, holdback, holdup, house arrest, immuration, immurement, impediment, imprisonment, incarceration, inhibition, interference, interim, internment, interruption, jailing, jam, lag, lagging, let, letdown, letup, logjam, minus acceleration, moratorium, nab, negativism, nuisance value, obstruction, obstructionism, occlusion, opposition, paperasserie, pause, pickup, pinch, red tape, red-tapeism, red-tapery, repression, reprieve, resistance, respite, restraint, restriction, retardance, retardation, retardment, setback, slack-up, slackening, slow-up, slowdown, slowing, slowing down, slowness, slowup, squeeze, stay, stay of execution, stop, stoppage, stranglehold, stricture, suppression, suspension, term of imprisonment, tie-up, time lag, wait